10 March 2020 | Career Advice | Guest Author
A lot of us want to be the best versions of ourselves, and we are interested in improving ourselves and smashing our goals. For some people, setting these goals properly is difficult. People need to set goals that can lead them towards achieving their full potential. They need to strive to make conscious daily decisions that help them achieve personal development.
There are a lot of things involved in personal development, and goal setting plays a significant role. In this article, we will be discussing some tips that can help you successfully set your goals, achieve them, and fully develop yourself.
- Make SMART Goals: The acronym SMART is one of the best guidelines for goal settings. The acronym is further discussed below:
- Specific – You should make your goal is specific and well detailed; you and others should easily understand it. Knowing what exactly your goal is, how you can achieve it, and why you want it gives it a higher chance of success. Incomplete goals will bring incomplete results, but concrete goals will bring concrete results.
- Measurable – Always set goals that can be measured. You should make sure you have a method to measure the goals you set, whether it is by money, time, or any other scale. This will help you know when you are successfully moving forward with your goals. If you do not have a way to measure your goals, you will not know how well you are advancing, and if you have to make adjustments or not.
- Attainable – Although your goals should be challenging, they should not be unattainable. Some people set goals that are unattainable, and such goals can end up becoming frustrating. Always make goals that can be achieved with the resources available; this doesn't mean your goals should be easy.
- Realistic – When setting your goals, you should ensure they are realistic, and in line with your purpose in life. This can be confused with attainability; although they are similar, they are not the same. For example, if someone earns £30,000/month and his or her goal is to buy a house that costs £350,000, it is attainable. If the goal is to buy that house in two months, it is unrealistic, but if the goal is to buy it in 10-18 months, it is both attainable and realistic.
- Time-sensitive – It is essential to have a timeline for achieving your goals; every goal has an end. As the deadline you set for yourself to complete your goal approaches, you will feel more motivated to complete the goal. Breaking a large goal into smaller goals and timeframes may make achieving the target easier. If you end up not being able to achieve your goal by the set deadline, that is not a problem. You need to make adjustments and stay focused on the target.
Set Goals in The Important Areas of Your Life: You have to figure out the important parts of your life that you need to achieve and set the necessary goals to get to that point. These may be financial, career, family, health, relationship, etc. If the objectives seem like a lot to handle, it can be split into short term and long term goals. For example, paying off a £2000 debt can be a short term goal, while having a net worth of two million pounds can be a long term goal. If you are having issues with retaining your top employees, you can set a career goal of the number of employees you want to retain.
Consider Your Passion: Your goals should align with your passion and dreams. You need to sit down and think about the things you want for yourself. Your goals need to come from your heart. They need to be unique to you. They should be crafted from your gifts and the purpose you were created for. Your goals have to come from the excitement of your dream; this excitement fuels you to create strategies to achieve your goal. You have to listen to yourself, take your time, and make a prioritised list of your dreams.
Make Daily Efforts Towards Your Goals: You must work on your goals daily, take a look at your list of goals every day and think of ways you can make necessary steps towards achieving them. You can also make a vision board to help you visualise your goals; seeing the vision board every day will help you stay inspired. For example, if you work remotely and you are trying to improve your career, or you are having issues creating a work/life balance, you can read articles that will help you get to your goal.
Evaluation and Reflection: To set new goals, you need to look back on how well you have achieved previous goals and evaluate the point you are at now. This will help you know where you are going and how to get there successfully. The basic steps involved in evaluation and reflection include:
- Find a quiet place free of distractions
- Take time at regular intervals to evaluate and reflect
- Look back at previous accomplishments
Time Tracking: Asana time tracking will come in handy in helping you achieve goals and maximise your potential. You can use this to track and keep a record of the time spent on the tasks you need to complete to achieve your goals.
Have you ever been confused when it comes to setting goals to boost your personal growth? Have you tried any of these tips? Do you have any tips that have worked for you? Please kindly share your thoughts and opinions in the comment section.
Lori Wade is a journalist from Louisville. She is a content writer who has experience in small editions, Lori is now engaged in news and conceptual articles on the topic of business. To keep up with everything, Lori uses asana time tracking. If you are interested in time management, entrepreneurship or lifestyle, you can find her on Twitter & LinkedIn.