The Beyond Barriers Student Mentoring Scheme is a six month programme to help second-year, third-year and postgraduate students from traditionally under-represented groups achieve their full potential through a tailored one-to-one relationship. External mentors and alumni support the students by offering impartial guidance, encouraging new experiences and positive choices, and helping to inspire self-confidence.
Beyond Barriers is available to:
- Black and ethnic minority students
- Female science, engineering, maths and built environment students
- Students who are the first in their family to attend higher education
- Students with a learning difference or disability
- Mature students
- LGBT+ students
- KU Cares students
- Commuter students
- Student parents
How it works
The scheme runs from October to May and requires a commitment of two hours per month from both mentors and mentees. Mentors must have at least three years professional experience. Full training is provided and at the end of the scheme the participation of all mentors and mentees is recognised at a special celebration event.
Benefits for mentees:
- Receive tailored advice from top business professionals
- Sharpen your skills and gain real-world insight
- Get ahead and overcome the barriers to your success.
Benefits for mentors:
- Share your knowledge and experience
- Encourage a young person to achieve their potential
- Broaden your own skills and judgement
- Meet other professionals